It’s a well-known fact that the cost of higher studies has only increased over the years and this cost is likely to continue moving upwards. Many a deserving student in India is not able to afford the cost of higher studies due to financial challenges faced by his/her family. To aid the cause of such talented and deserving students, the Government of India has stepped in to provide a level-playing field to all students irrespective of their socio-economic backgrounds. The NSP National Scholarship Portal) is the Government of India’s initiative to provide financial assistance to deserving students by awarding them scholarships to pursue higher education and fulfil their dreams. In this article, we’re providing all the information that you need about the National Scholarship Portal.
- 1 What is the National Scholarship Portal?
- 2 Vision:
- 3 Mission:
- 4 Objectives:
- 5 Benefits:
- 6 Why was the NSP created?
- 7 How is NSP beneficial for students?
- 8 What are the various scholarships that NSP offers?
- 9 How do I apply for a Scholarship through NSP?
- 10 How can Students Login to the National Scholarship Portal?
- 10.1 Step 1: Log into the National Scholarship Portal (NSP)
- 10.2 Step 2: Register Yourself
- 10.3 Temporary Registration Number
- 10.4 Step 3: Logging into the National Scholarship Portal
- 10.5 Step 4: Filling the National Scholarship Portal Application Form
- 10.6 Step 5: Uploading the Documents
- 10.7 Step 6: Contact Details
- 10.8 Tracking the NSP Application Status
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about NSP
- 11.1 Q1: Can the information saved in the application form edited and till what time?
- 11.2 Q2: What should I do if I my Institute’s name is not there in the drop-down menu?
- 11.3 Q3: What are the fields in the NSP Application Form that can’t be edited at all?
- 11.4 Q4: What is the solution if some schemes are not showing in the drop-down menu?
- 11.5 Q5: What if I detect mistakes in the application form after the application has been forward to the next level?
What is the National Scholarship Portal?
Back in the day, the students had to run from pillar to post to avail benefits under various educational scholarship schemes and furnish tedious paperwork. The National Scholarship Portal (NSP) is a unique and simplified platform to help students get benefits of educational scholarships in an efficient and transparent manner. It’s a one-stop solution through which a number of services like student application, application receipt, processing, sanction, and disbursal of various scholarships to students are enabled. National Scholarship Portal is taken as Mission Mode Project under the National e-Governance Plan (NGP).
National Scholarships Portal is one-stop solution through which various services starting from student application, application receipt, processing, sanction and disbursal of various scholarships to Students are enabled.
This initiative aims at providing a Simplified, Mission-oriented, Accountable, Responsive & Transparent ‘SMART’ System for faster & effective disposal of Scholarships applications and delivery of funds directly into beneficiaries account without any leakages.
The Mission Mode Project (MMP) of National Scholarships Portal under the National e-Governance Plan aims at providing common electronic portal for implementing various Scholarships schemes launched by Union Government, State Government and Union Territories across the country.
- Ensure timely disbursement of Scholarships to students
- Provide a common portal for various Scholarships schemes of Central and State Governments
- Create a transparent database of scholars
- Avoid duplication in processing
- Harmonisation of different Scholarships schemes & norms
- Application of Direct Benefit Transfer
Simplified process for the students:
1: All scholarships information available under one umbrella.
2: Single integrated application for all scholarships
Improved transparency :
1: System suggests the schemes for which a student is eligible.
2: Duplicates can be reduced to the maximum extent
Helps in standardisation :
1: Master data for Institutions and courses at all India level .
2: cholarships processing
Serves as a decision support system (DSS) for Ministries and departments as up-to date information will be available on demand.
Comprehensive MIS System to facilitate monitoring every stage of Scholarships distribution i.e. from student registration to delivery of funds.
Why was the NSP created?
The NSP initiative aims at providing a Simplified, Mission-oriented, Accountable, Responsive, and Transparent (SMART) System for faster & effective disbursal of scholarships applications and the delivery of funds directly into the beneficiaries’ account without any leakage.
The primary objectives for forming the NSP are:
- To ensure timely disbursement of scholarships to students.
- Provide a common portal for various scholarships schemes of Central & State Governments.
- Create a transparent database of scholars.
- Avoid duplication in processing.
- Harmonization of different scholarships schemes and norms.
- Application of direct benefit transfer.
How is NSP beneficial for students?
Some of the innumerable benefits of NSP for the students are:
1) Simplified process for students
- All scholarships information is made available under a common umbrella.
- Single integrated application for all scholarships
2) Improved Transparency
- The system suggests the schemes for which a student is eligible.
- Duplication is reduced to a great extent.
3) Helps in Standardization
- Master data for institutions and courses at pan India level.
- Processing of scholarships.
4) NSP serves as a decision support system (DSS) for various Ministries & Departments as updated information is available on demand.
5) Comprehensive MIS system to facilitate monitoring every stage of scholarships disbursal i.e. from the student registration to the delivery of funds.
What are the various scholarships that NSP offers?
NSP offers a gamut of scholarships under the purview of various Government Ministries and Departments. Please refer to the following table which highlights some of the NSP scholarships.
How do I apply for a Scholarship through NSP?
The application procedures to avail Scholarship Schemes for both Fresh cases and Renewals are given below.
For Fresh cases: Firstly, you have to click on the tab ‘Student Login http://scholarships.gov.in/loginPage’ on the home page of the National Scholarship Portal. Now, fill up the application as per the system’s instructions then click on the ‘save’ tab. After saving the application, you will get a “Temporary ID”. The system will instruct you to submit your Temporary ID, date of birth, and fill the subsequent details. Once the registration is complete click on the ‘submit’ tab, a Permanent Registration ID will be generated, which can be used for Renewal and to track the status of the application.
For Renewals: You have to apply for scholarship renewal with your ‘Application Id’ and Date of Birth which you registered previous year. A student can also use ‘Forgot Application ID’ to retrieve their ID. Only those students would be able to renew who had actually received the scholarships payments during the previous year from NSP.
How can Students Login to the National Scholarship Portal?
To be able to take advantage of the above-mentioned Government scholarships, candidates have to register themselves on the Student Login portal, fill out the common application form, and provide their personal and academic details. After filling all the necessary details and completing the application form, you will be able to see a list of all the scholarships that you are eligible to apply.
Also Read: Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana PMKVY
For your benefit, we’ve put together the step-by-step procedure to log into the National Scholarship Portal and for filling out the application form. Please follow the steps mentioned below and ensure that all the details provided by you are correct and accurate.
Step 1: Log into the National Scholarship Portal (NSP)
- Firstly, navigate to the official website of NSP https://scholarships.gov.in/public/homePage.
- On the home page, find the ‘Student Login’ Tab and click on it.
Step 2: Register Yourself
- You need to register yourself with the National Scholarship Portal before you can apply for a scholarship.
- So Provide all the details in the necessary fields in this section.
Temporary Registration Number
- After entering all details and submitting the information, so you will be provided with a 20- digit Temporary Registration Number.
- The Temporary Registration Number is also sent to the applicant’s registered mobile number for future reference.
- You must save your Temporary Registration Number till the time you have completed your application process and have been provided with a Permanent Registration Number.
Step 3: Logging into the National Scholarship Portal
- So After receiving your Temporary Registration Number, you can log into the NSP Portal using the Temporary Registration Number and your Date of Birth.
Step 4: Filling the National Scholarship Portal Application Form
- After successfully completing the registration process, and logging into the Portal using your temporary registration number and Date of Birth, you can start filling out your personal as well as academic details.
- So Provide accurate personal information and your bank account details.
- Ensure that the above details are correct as the scholarship amount so that will be transferred using the personal and bank account information.
- In the academic section, fill in your present as well as previous academic details.
- You will able to see the various scholarships that you are entitle to apply base on your qualification and category details i.e. SC/ST/minority/Disabled, etc.
Step 5: Uploading the Documents
- So You must know that you can apply for multiple scholarships.
- Once you apply for a particular scholarship, you will be shown a list of the documents which are to be uploaded for the scholarship selected by you.
Step 6: Contact Details
- After uploading the necessary documents, so you will asked to provide your contact details to complete the application process.
So that was the application process for the National Scholarship Portal. So Now, let’s see how you can track the status of your application form.
Tracking the NSP Application Status
Once you’ve successfully submitted the NSP online application form, you must take a printout of the application form by clicking on the ‘Print Your Application’ tab. So You can check the status of your scholarship application by clicking on the ‘Check Your Status’ tab on the NSP Portal.
Please check the eligibility criteria for various schemes before you apply for scholarships http://scholarships.gov.in/public/slider.jsp.
So One of the frequently asked questions about the National Scholarship Portal application process is whether Aadhar Number is mandatory for the NSP application process? The answer is ‘No’. Because Aadhar number is not mandatory to apply for a scholarship through the National Scholarship Portal. All eligible candidates who want to take advantage of the NSP scholarships can register themselves using any of the following three things/documents:
- Aadhar Number
- Enrollment Id
- Bank Passbook
However, it must noted that applications for the NSP scholarships can only submitted online.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about NSP
Q1: Can the information saved in the application form edited and till what time?
Answer: All the information in the application form can edited till the closure of the application form. So Post the final submission, your application will forwarded to the next level, after which the information cannot edited.
Answer: You should immediately approach the Institute and contact the nodal officer of the state where the Institute is located.You may also approach the nodal officer of the state directly through e-mail under intimation to the ministry. If your Institute is listed as an eligible Institute then the concern State Government will add it to the database and then you will able to apply.
Q3: What are the fields in the NSP Application Form that can’t be edited at all?
Answer: Your Aadhar Number and the Enrollment Id are not editable at any stage.Hence, you should exercise extra care while filling out these fields.
Answer: If the scheme does not fit into the guidelines according to the inputs provide by students in the application form then these scholarships cannot provided.
Q5: What if I detect mistakes in the application form after the application has been forward to the next level?
Answer: You should immediately inform the Institute/District/Region/State about the mistakes detected by you.So The software provides the facility at the level of the Institute and the State to edit & correct limited information.